I'm thrilled to let you know that the Gallo Campground at Chaco will reopen on September 17, with limited services. That is much sooner than previously expected.
The ability to camp close by, rather than 20 miles away, makes a big difference. I think it's a smart move for them to reopen to campers, bringing back visitors during the beautiful fall season.
Because emergency repairs to the septic system are still being done, lack of running water limits campground services. Basically this just means semi-primitive camping.
Here are the limitations:
- No running water - it is still available at the visitor center parking lot
- Portable bathrooms - campground restrooms are closed; restrooms also available outside the visitor center
- Conserve all water use
- Dump station for RVs is closed, with no alternate facility in the park
- Only 49 campsites available - first come, first served
- Only one group campsite, with reservations required
Campsites are still $10 per night - a bargain.
I'm checking my calendar to see when I can get to Chaco this fall. How about you?